Sunday, August 5, 2012

Back from the 127 Corridor Sale!

I have so much to report about our trip along the world's longest yard sale!  We are back home after being in 7 states in 4 days!  Mom and I left on Wednesday after work.  We traveled through Louisiana and stopped for the night in Jackson, Mississippi.  We started the Sale in Fort Payne, Alabama, crossed into Georgia and ended our shopping in Clarkrange, Tennessee.  Good stuff?  Take a look at our rental after our last shopping stop:














DAY 1 (Thursday):
We shopped from Fort Payne, AL to Mentone, AL.  We enjoyed a great meal at Moonlight Bistro in Mentone.  The yard sales became sparse after Mentone and we drove on to Chattanooga, TN to stay the night.  The drive through Alabama was very scenic and took us through the mountains.  A goal of the Sale is to take folks off the major highways and the scenery does help when you are in bumper-to-bumper traffic.  We did not book hotel rooms in advance because we didn't know how far we would be able to travel each day.  Rooms are very hard to find and even the Super 8 can run you $180+. 

The Moonlight Bistro, Mentone, AL



















DAY 2 (Friday):
We shopped from Chattanooga, TN to Crossville, TN.  We had found some awesome treasures and thought our day couldn't be better...when I looked up and was standing literally a few feet away from The Junk Gypsies!  They were shopping and filming an episode for HGTV!  SO FUN!  We had to travel quite a ways down I-40 to find a room that night and ended up staying in Harriman, TN.  Can I just tell you that at the end of each day getting dinner and a shower have never been so good!



























DAY 3 (Saturday):
We shopped from Crossville, TN to Clarkrange, TN.  Our final stop was a great one and was home to Cumberland Mountain General Store.  We found some awesome treasures in Clarkrange and decided we had too little space left in the rental and too little cash left in our pockets.  We headed home and arrived back in Texas safe and sound around midnight.  We had a wonderful trip!














Here are a few tips in case you plan to do this trip next year:
*  Never let your gas tank get below half a tank
*  Pack water, snacks and wet wipes
*  Book hotel rooms in advance
*  Be prepared to work - you have to park a distance from many sales so loading large purchases can be difficult
*  Don't pay full price for anything
*  Pack your patience - the traffic is nuts
*  Have no fear - there are plenty of treasures for all!



9 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks like you got a hugh haul! Wish i was closer and could check it out!

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Wow Steph, I've so wanted to go on this trip. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Stephanie, this sounds like equal parts Fun and Exhaustion! Lots of work but so worth. Love the Junk Gypsies. What a treat!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

Oh, Oh, OH!!! I've always wanted to do this sale! Great advice that I'll file away for someday when I can make it.

So exciting that you saw the Junk Gypsies!

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

Sounds like my kind of roadtrip!!! Fun!
Linsey

shaggysheephome said...

I am a new follower and fan. I mentioned your booth and blog on my site.

Vintage and Company said...

I'm just plain JEALOUS!!!! How fun to go with your mom...you made a memory for sure!

farmhouse-story said...

count me jealous, too! this would be my kind of trip, stephanie:) thanks for sharing!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sounds like you two had one awesome trip. I almost did it this year, but I changed my mind about a week before it, oh well...maybe next year. thanks for the tips.

Blessings,
linda